After completing this course, participants will be able to:
- Describe copper access networks and DSL systems evolution
- Appreciate the basics of fiber optics networks and systems
- Understand the optical access network evolution – from FTTX to FTTH
- Compare and contrast different NGAN architectures and technologies
- Recognize the network elements and construction techniques for Optical Distribution Network (ODN) deployment
- Provide knowledge and basic criteria for GPON planning, design and management
- Design FTTX and FTTH systems
The deployment of Next Generation Access Networks (NGAN) can involve the implementation of a number of different optical access architectures, namely FTTX and FTTH.
FTTX refers to fiber links being laid as far as the cabinet (FTTC) or as far as the building (FTTB) whilst FTTH describes connections all the way into the home itself.
Moreover, each of these solutions can be designed with differing topologies and technologies namely, Point-to-Point (P2P) with Ethernet transmission capability or Point-to-Multi-Point with PON transmission technology.
Today there are over 300 million FTTX connections in the world and this number is forecasted to reach 520 million by 2020.
This course describes the different FTTX architectures, highlighting the advantages and disadvantages of the various solutions.
The key planning, design and construction rules of Optical Distribution Networks (ODN) are explored. Network Operation and Maintenance (O&M) challenges are described.
Pre-Requisite for Participants:
A solid understanding of telecommunications transmission principles. Prior attendance at course A1. Fiber to the Home (FTTH Overview).
Who Should Attend?
This course addresses the needs of telecommunications professionals involved in the design of FTTX and FTTH access systems.
It is suitable for fiber network planners, technicians, supervisors and managers and also consultants, contractors and other professionals with an interest in NGAN design principles.
3 days workshop.
- Review of traditional access networks
- Network evolution and broadband needs
- Fiber optics and passive optical networks (PON)
- FTTX access networks
- FTTX / FTTH architectures
- FTTH GPON
- FTTH GPON components
- Planning, design and dimensioning considerations
- Construction and installation techniques
- Testing and management
- GPON guidelines
- Case Studies
- Practical exercises