This training provides a broad overview on several topics that are not commonly addressed in literature. In particular, the participants will learn:
that the word “synchronization” is used in several contexts in telecommunications, addressing a wide spectrum of different timing issues;
knowledge on IP and IP Synchronization
bit and byte justification techniques used in PDH and SDH multiplexing, emphasizing timing and jitter issues;
basic concepts such as jitter and timing relationships between timing signals;
timing aspects in SDH/SONET networks, such as the main causes of jitter in SDH/SONET networks and what are synchronizers, desynchronizers and pointer processors;
how network synchronization issues evolved with the telephone networks, beginning from old FDM networks up to the latest technologies, through PDH, SDH/SONET, ATM and mobile telephone cellular networks;
strategies and issues of synchronization in Next-Generation Networks;
strategies and standard architectures of synchronization networks;
principles of synchronization network planning, management, protection and performance monitoring;
models and characterization of telecommunications clocks;
principles of operation of clocks for synchronization networks;
principles of Network Time Protocol (NTP);
time and frequency measurement techniques in telecommunications, emphasizing practical aspects.
Pre-Requisite for Participants:
For best understanding and enjoyment of some topics of this tutorial, basic knowledge of SDH/SONET systems and digital multiplexing is recommended.
Who Should Attend?
This course has been designed primarily for the technical personnel of telecommunications operators, service providers and equipment suppliers. This may include, but not exclusively, system engineers, network planners, designers and engineers in charge of system testing, operation, maintenance and customer support.
Not only practitioners or new-to-the job should attend this course, but also senior personnel with expertise in the field will discover several enlightening aspects and will benefit from attending it. The richness and depth of course topics cover a wide spectrum of practical and theoretical issues in a wide range of applications.
- Overview of Internet Protocols and Architecture
- Introduction to the Internet.
- Internet Addressing
- The IP Network Protocol
- The Internet transport layer: UDP and TCP
- Basic Concepts of Synchronization
- Timing aspects in SDH/SONET networks
- Evolution of network synchronization requirements and architectures from fixed to mobile communications
- Synchronization in ATM Transport Networks
- Synchronization of mobile cellular networks from 2G to 4G
- Synchronization Networks
- Principles of Network Time Protocol (NTP) and Precision Time Protocol (PTP)
- Synchronization in IP Networks and mobile backhaul networks
- Models and characterization of clocks in telecommunications
- Discussion of practical problems and of customer’s network architecture
- Optional: Physical principles and technology of clocks
- Optional: Synchronization measurement in telecommunications