This course will enable participants to:
- Develop their understanding of what GPRS and EDGE is and what it can do, including the motivation for its development, its early history, and its present capabilities.
- Help the engineering team in planning, optimization and performance management for the wireless data network. Have a better know how of the parameters involved and KPI metrics;
- Understand the architectures and identities of the Um Interface, Gb Interface, Gn and Gp Interface.
- Learn KPIs measure for GPRS and EDGE system
- Know how to manage GPRS Data Speed
- Learn on how to diagnose performance problems, perform root cause analysis, evaluate system tradeoffs, and make optimization decisions
Pre-Requisite for Participants:
A basic knowledge of GSM, IP and data communication technology will be required.
Who Should Attend?
Technicians, engineers, supervisors and managers responsible for the planning, design, operation and performance of GSM, GPRS and EDGE networks and services. Intended audience from field and operations engineering, RF and performance engineering, switch engineering.
- Introduction to GSM network
- Introduction to GSM NSS core network- layers, protocols
- Introduction to GSM BSS Radio network- layers protocols
- Mobility management, Radio resource management
- The cellular idea. Planning and optimization
- Introduction to GPRS network
- GPRS air interface design
- GPRS network architecture- Components and procedures (GGSN-SGSN)
- GPRS protocol stack
- GPRS interfaces
- Introduction to IP
- TCP/IP for GPRS networks – IP tunneling
- IP addressing in GPRS, DHCP, GPRS configuration for IP. IP packet flows.
- Session management
- PDP context activation
- GPRS Mobility management
- GPRS attach in details
- PDP context activation in details
- Location management
- GGSN routing to external network
- GPRS performance
- GPRS coding schemes
- GPRS data speed issues
- GPRS optimization issues