By attending this "Telefocal Certified Fiber Optics Technician (TC-FOT)" course, participants will be able to understand the theories, concepts and technologies which underpin fiber optic transport networks.
They will learn fiber optics Outside Plant (OSP) components and fiber optic cable planning and installation.
Also, they would appreciate fiber optic Health and Safety issues, comprehend the key tools and testers associated with fiber optics and be fully competent in their operation.
Lastly, they will acquire a range of practical skills associated with cable splicing, build and installation, testing, repair and trouble-shooting of fiber optic transport networks.
This course equips participants with the necessary knowledge, theories and concepts on Fiber Optics and Fiber Optics Communications.
Practical lab sessions using essential fiber optics equipment such as OTDRs and Fusion Splicers will be included. It would help to translate what students learn in class to practical experiences.
At the end of the course, participants will undergo a certification exam which will validate their knowledge on Fiber Optics theories and concepts, as well as Fiber Optics system, transmission and testing.
The exam will cover key domains listed as follows:
- Deploying Optical Fiber Network
- FTTx and GPON
- Light Theory and Optical Transmission
- Optical Fiber Network and Systems
- Optical Fiber, Cables and Hardware
- Telecom Network and Transmission
- Tools and Testing
Pre-Requisite for Participants:
Prior experience of working with fiber optics cables and systems.
Who Should Attend??
Fiber optics core technicians and supervisors, cable splicers and other telecommunications professionals or contractors who are employed in (or looking to be employed in) the build, installation, repair and trouble-shooting of optical transport systems.
- Optical fiber general studies review
- Theory of light
- Single mode and multi-mode fiber
- Optical fiber cables
- Optical fiber health and safety issues
- Optical fiber cable planning and installation
- Selecting the right OSP cable
- Tools and testers
- Identification of optical fiber connectors
- Cable preparation
- Mechanical and fusion splicing
- Optical Line Test Sets (OLTS)
- Light source and power meter
- Optical Time Delay Reflectometer (OTDR)
- Testing and trouble-shooting
- Measurements, events, traces
- Commissioning and acceptance testing
- Practical Demonstrations
- ‘Hands-on’ exercises
- Written examination
- Practical assessment
- Practical assessment
At the end of the course, participants will participate in both written and practical examinations.
Students will receive their CFOT OSP Certificate if:
- They score 75% or higher on the written exam AND
- They score 80% or higher on the practical assessment