The goal of this training is to help mobile network operators in Africa to plan their transition from 2G to 3G and 4G technology, predominantly from a strategic and business planning point of view. It explains the market developments that drive this evolution and why certain solutions have been selected. The level of technical detail provided in the course conveys a sound understanding of the different technologies, their advantages and limitations, in order to then apply this knowledge to competitor analysis, strategic decision making, business planning and service definition.
By actively discussing a multitude of examples taken from various network operators and market data specific to Africa, you will be able to apply the newly gained know-how to analyse requirements in your country, develop demand forecasts, assess benefits and estimate costs of technology migrations, and successfully define services and pricing plans.
This course will enable participants to:
- Understand the technology evolution from 2G to 3G and 4G telecommunication systems
- Gain knowledge on advantages and limitations of different technologies
- Translate demand forecasts for broadband services into network investment requirements
- Gain insights into best practices in network design and services pricing
- Assess the value of frequency spectrum and spectral efficiency
- Understand service definition and creation of business cases for different network technologies and customer requirements specifically in the African market
The participants will gain an in-depth understanding of various telecommunication systems, their characteristics and usage, enabling them to select the most appropriate solution and migration path to meet their present and future needs. Emphasis is given to discussions of approaches to building a business case and setting suitable marketing strategies.
Pre-Requisite for Participants:
A basic understanding of mobile telecommunication systems and services.
Who Should Attend?
- Staff responsible for strategic planning, marketing and sales at mobile network operators, infrastructure equipment suppliers and terminal manufacturers
- Decision makers at newly licensed or prospective network operators who need to choose a technology platform that best suits their needs and business plan
- Management (all levels)
- Technical staff wishing to gain insights into competing technologies, business models and service definition
- Telecom regulatory authority staff, especially those responsible for spectrum management
- GSM/GRPS/EDGE – The foundations of today’s system evolution
- Commercial aspects of migrating from 2G to 3G
- UMTS – Introducing 3G
- CDMA-2000 – Competition from the “other” 3G technology
- 3.5G – Where are the limits of HSPA?
- Multimedia Services – The role of IMS
- 4G/LTE – Should an operator skip 3G?
- WiMAX – The “other” 4G technology
- WiFi – The solution to mobile capacity problems?
- Wrap-Up: Workshop summary and Discussion